Exofin Fusion® High Viscosity Tissue Adhesive
An innovative three-part skin closure system, exofin fusion® relies on premium polyester mesh strips, which quickly close and seal large incisions, form an immediate microbial barrier to protect against infection-causing bacteria, and keep the site comfortably sealed until post-surgical removal. Exofin fusion® is available in two sizes, one is ideal for medium incisions up to 20cm in length, and the other for long incisions up to 40cm in length. In addition to the high-quality mesh, our product also includes mesh anchors for added protection and easy removal, and a 2-octyl cyanoacrylate monomer with average adhesive cure time of less than one minute.
In fact, exofin fusion® not only provides for faster incision closure than sutures or staples, our product also cures up to four times faster than our leading competition. Unlike our competition, exofin fusion® also comes in a pre-sterilized tray that can be placed directly into the sterile field. Studies have shown that the combination of mesh and adhesive can reduce readmission rates and post-surgical care when compared to traditional staple closure1.
Cost Savings & Patient Benefits
LOWER HEALTHCARE COSTS
Exofin fusion® may save your hospital money in two ways: by reducing the time individual patients spend in the OR, and by reducing the risk of acquiring a post-surgical site infection along the incision line.
Faster OR Procedures
It’s a simple formula. In the OR, time equals money. By providing faster closure speeds compared to traditional methods, exofin fusion® frees up operating rooms more quickly so hospitals may perform additional procedures each day. Other financial benefits include:
- Frees up other OR staff to assist busy surgeons
- Reduces the time the patient remains under anesthesia
- Less costly postoperative healthcare visits for bandage changes
Lower Readmission Risk
Our product creates a more effective microbial barrier than traditional closure methods reducing the likelihood of readmission due to infection or other complications. A recent clinical study found a statistically significant reduction in patient readmission at 30, 60 and 90 days—a 1.8% readmission rate compared to 4.4% when using skin staples.3 Financial benefits include:
- A lower risk of being penalized for readmission rates above the national average4
- Reduction in total hospital stay: 12% reduction in length of hospital stay and 31% reduction in discharge to a skilled nursing facility5
- Reduction in the use of other medical supplies such as post-surgical dressings6
BETTER PATIENT OUTCOMES
Not only does exofin fusion® lower the risk of infection, our product also enhances the overall patient experience by improving patient comfort after surgery and simplifying self-care.
When using exofin fusion® to close, patients are better suited to administer self-care after surgery:
- Incisions closed utilizing the exofin fusion® skin closure system remain dry, keeping infection-causing bacteria and moisture away from the incision site and eliminate the need for applying and reapplying post-surgical dressings.
- The incision site is less noticeable than sites closed with staples,improving patient confidence and self-image post-surgery.
Our superior mesh strips are strong but flexible, contouring to the body for greater patient comfort. Other comfort features include:
- A waterproof barrier allowing patients to shower immediately after surgery. This can be especially beneficial for the new mom’s post C-section closure.
- Mesh anchors provide for easy access point for post-surgical removal and guards against mesh from rolling up on the ends prematurely
1 Comparison of Economic and Clinical Outcomes between the DERMABOND®PRINEO® Skin Closure System and Skin Staples in Patients Undergoing Knee Replacement in Real World Clinical Practice. | 2 Data on file.
3 A U.S. Hospital Budget Impact Analysis of a Skin Closure System Compared with Standard of Care in Hip and Knee Arthroplasty. | 4 Ibid. | 5 Ibid. | 6 Ibid.